Request Your Free Satellite Roof Estimate Today!
Helping you to save time and money
We offer two easy ways to receive a free, no-obligation inspection:
Using satellite technology, we can provide a measurement report and comprehensive roof quote, providing you with privacy and efficiency.
What to Expect from Metal Roofing?
As you may know, the roof on your home has an expiration date fast approaching and the decisions you make in materials and contracting will ultimately decide how soon you will need to repeat the costly process again. The most important factor to consider will be professional skilled installation from expert roofing company as this always prolongs the longevity of your roofing materials. But, it is the materials themselves that will sit atop your home and provide the interior with specific benefits and protection from the elements in your region. In this article, we will look at the metal roofing options and examine its advantages and disadvantages as a roofing material for your home.
The Advantages of Metal Roofing
- The Longer Lasting Material – Asphalt shingles will last around 12 years and possibly 15 with proper care and maintenance. Metal roofing options can last as long as 100 years with proper materials and easily half a century with a more economically priced option. The only roofing materials that can last longer than metal roofing is slate and terracotta tiling that looks amazing but can easily cost twice as much as the cost-effective metal roof.
- A Safer Option – The roof on top of your home is not merely ornamental but provides the essential protection that makes the structure livable. The more precise the selection for your home the better the advantages you can expect from your roofing material. For example, in the frozen north, snow pile-ups can cause disasters great and small. Metal roofing can be chosen in darker colors that absorb warmth and quickly remove the snow before it becomes a hazard. Metal roofs are also non-combustible and can protect the hoe in the event of a fire.
- The Best-Looking Roof – When it comes to the most beautiful and luxurious roofs on the block, nothing beats the stately slate or textures of sunbathed terracotta. These also represent a considerable investment on the part of the landlord. But, the aesthetic advantages of these costly roofing materials are also available in metal roofing options. Or maybe you want the rustic look of wooden shakes, without the serious fire hazard, metal roofing works here in a longer lasting replica of this beautiful roofing type.
- The Green Option – Whether you are a conscientious member of society or simply like the idea of big ROIs, you can’t ignore the green option. According to statistics in today’s real estate industry, everyone’s going Green. This means that homes with energy saving features will typically fetch a higher price on the markets today. The metal roof can be selected to keep the interior of the home cooler in hot climates and retain heat in cooler regions. This can have a big result in lowering the costs for heating and cooling the home.
The Disadvantages of Metal Roofing
- The Initial Cost – The first thing you will want to factor into your plans for a metal roof will be the high initial cost. While you will find a variety of metal roofing options for as low as $150 a square (10’X10’), none of these options will include all the special features that make metal roofing an advantageous roofing option. Furthermore, you will want to consider how long you be living in the home, so you can hope to recoup some of the initial investment costs.
- Noise – The resonance of your metal roofing option will also be something to consider. The rain crashing down on the metal roofing tiles will be a source of disturbance in some situations. Of course, you can find some metal roofing options that have been created to dampen the sound of the rainfall, but you can expect these will cost a bit more.
- Denting – While metal roofing is one of the best defenses against the elements, you will find one form of elemental damages is the exception to this rule. Unlike rainfall and snowflakes, hailstones come tumbling from the sky in rock hard granular presentation that can cause damage to the considerable thing metal sheeting covering the roof. While your steel roofing material may fare well against the icy onslaught, copper and aluminum roofing materials will get bent out of shape easily. Some metal roofing materials are guaranteed to never dent, but you will still not want to stand or walk on these roofing materials to test the guarantee. Metal roofs are not load bearing structures, they are precision protection for the home below.
- Painting and Maintenance – Unlike most other roofing options, metal roofing will need to be repainted if it is to maintain its stunning beauty are carefully designed replications. Most will have a guarantee that lasts over a decade but you can imagine that various materials, conditions, and situations will call for immediate maintenance and repair before this time. This will be crucial to maintaining the longevity of your roof. But you can also replace sections that have become damaged without having to pay for the entire roof to be replaced.